Family Camping Gone Wrong as Girl Wakes Up with Snake in Arm

It was supposed to be a quiet and wholesome family outing, but it turned scary when their little girl woke up to find a snake wrapped around her arm.

The family was on a camping trip on Moreton Island when a snake, which was thought to be a carpet python, managed to crawl into their partially opened tent. Come early morning, their 9-year-old daughter awoke to find the snake coiled up on her arm.

The girl and her father panicked and tried to take the reptile off her arm. But the snake bit them both. Thankfully, the snake was non-venomous. Paramedics took the two victims to Redcliffe Hospital in stable condition.

Snake Warning

Just recently, the Queensland Ambulance Service revealed that there has been an increase in the number of snake bite incidents in the first three months of the year.

From January to March, there were 313 suspected bites, which translates to 3 people being bitten per day. The first quarter number is bigger than the 283 reported cases of snake bites during the same period in 2016.

Partly to blame for the increase in snake bite incidents is the onslaught of Cyclone Debbie. More snakes were found to have invaded people’s homes and backyards in after the cyclone.

Queensland is home to some of the most venomous snakes in the world, including the notorious eastern brown snake.

Photo credit: CCO Public Domain / sipa / Pixabay